Kohima: The High Powered Committee (HPC) of Nagaland Government on COVID-19 has decided to extend the ongoing lockdown till June 30. The Statewide lockdown was scheduled to end on June 18.
Briefing the Media person, Nagaland Planning and Coordination, Land Revenue and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Neiba Kronu informed that the decision was taken by the HPC at a meeting held in Kohima yesterday, where it decided to extend or lift the lockdown would be taken only after June 30 next on a need basis.
He said the HPC has empowered the District Task Forces (DTFs) to work out relaxations or remedial measures as per the situation in the respective districts. The Government was of the view that though there has been a gradual decline in daily COVID-19 cases, the positivity rate still needed to fall below 5 per cent. The overall positivity rate as on June 16 stood at 9.3%. On the COVID-19 spread, Kronu cautioned that it was not yet the time to become complacent.
On the death and infection rates have both come down of late, he observed that these were still quite high and therefore needed to be brought down further and sought a concerted effort from everyone in this regard. On the fears of third wave of COVID-19 hitting Nagaland, Kronu asserted that the State had to remain prepared, in case the third wave indeed occurred. He disclosed that more than 60% of healthcare workers and 29% of individuals 45 years and above had been inoculated so far. However, he said only 13% had been vaccinated in the 18 to 44 years category, which required to be improved. This was the third extension of the current Lock-down in the state imposed on May 14 this year.