Kohima: A major fire in the Kohima Civil Secretariat Complex at the office of the Chief Minister of Nagaland on Friday damaged property around Rs. Seven lakh, officials said on Saturday.
However, the main building was said to be undamaged.
According to official sources, some Indian Reserved Battalion constables, who were rehearsing for the Statehood Day Parade at the Secretariat Plaza, first noticed the smoke billowing from inside the Civil Secretariat Complex and alerted authorities immediately, who immediately called for the fire tenders to douse the fire.
The firefighters rushed to the spot and their timely intervention averted the fire from spreading to adjacent parts of the complex.
According to the officials of Fire Station, the fire call was received and two fire tenders were arrived quickly and completely doused the fire within an hour. The fire was reportedly caused by a short circuit.