Shillong: Rebel leaders of the outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), who participated in the first phase of the tripartite peace talks with the Meghalaya government and the centre, returned to Bangladesh on Friday.
“The talk so far so good and now the HNLC members have gone back to Bangladesh on Friday to brief the central executive committee members and general council on the outcome of peace talks and to take a decision on the matter before the second round of talks, HNLC interlocutor Sadon Blah, said on Saturday.
The HNLC representatives, who had arrived in the State on August 5 from Bangladesh, had held two rounds of talks in the presence of officials from the Union Ministry of Home Affairs and state government appointed interlocutor, Peter Dkhar.
The five HNLC rebel leaders who participated in the peace talks includes Vice Chairman, Manbhalang Jyrwa, Political Secretary Aristerwell Thongni, and Foreign secretary Phrangkupar Diengdoh including two of their PSO in the peace talks
Blah said the first phase of the negotiations was on safe passage, security aspect and the pros and cons if other HNLC members who are in Bangladesh will participate in the next round of the peace parleys.
The HNLC interlocutor said that the chargesheet filed by the NIA against the four HNLC rebels will not disrupt the peace talks .
Last month, the NIA)l has filed charge sheet against four HNLC rebels including its Chairman cum Commander-in-Chief Bobby Marwein alias Regan Marwein alias Wanbor Khardesaw alias Lung alias William in connection with the bomb blast at the staff quarters of Star Cement Factory Colony Lane in State’s East Jaintia Hills district on December 12, 2020.
The other three named in the charge sheet includes General Secretary cum Publicity Secretary Sainkupar Nongtraw alias Deng Deng alias Wadborlang Nongrum alias Wadkupar Nongrum alias Rocky Nongrum, Emmanuel Suchen alias Shwa and Marius Rynjah alias Hep Koit.
“As of today everything is on the right track right and everything went on smoothly. The chargesheet filed against them will not affect the peace talks,” Blah said.
Chief Minister Conrad Sangma had also said that the charge sheet filed by the NIA against four HNLC rebels will not disrupt the ongoing peace parleys.
“Let me give an assurance that we will ensure there is no kind of hurdle or interference or any kind
of problem because of these investigations by independent agencies and these will not and should not affect the peace talks,” Sangma said.