New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday urged UN Secretary-General António Guterres to ensure expeditious investigations into the recent attack on Indian peacekeepers in Congo.
During the telephonic conversation, Prime Minister urged that the perpetrators of this attack are brought to justice.
“Both leaders discussed the recent attack on the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO), where two Indian peacekeepers were martyred,” the PMO said.
Two Border Security Force personnel of the UN Peacekeeping contingent succumbed to fatal injuries during the violent armed protests on Tuesday at Butembo in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Prime Minister underscored India’s abiding commitment to UN Peacekeeping, with more than 2,50,000 Indian peacekeepers having served under UN Peacekeeping Missions so far.
A total of 177 Indian peacekeepers have made the supreme sacrifice while serving in UN peacekeeping Missions, the largest by any Troop Contributing Country, the PMO added.
António Guterres offered his condolences to the families of the two Indian Border Security Force personnel, as well as to the Government and the people of India.
He reiterated his unequivocal condemnation of the attack against MONUSCO and assured all possible action in conducting speedy investigations, the PMO said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also underscored India’s unwavering support for peace and stability in the Democratic People of the Congo, where nearly 2040 Indian soldiers are presently deployed at MONUSCO.