Madrid: FC Barcelona coach Xavi Hernandez on Saturday said he was in “shock” at the news that former Barcelona defender Dani Alves has been remanded in custody without bail on charges of suspected sexual assault.
A judge in Barcelona on Friday decided that the 39-year-old Brazil international should be placed in preventive custody in relation to the assault, which is alleged to have taken place in a Barcelona nightclub at the end of December last year.
The judge took the decision after speaking to Alves and his accuser, as well as looking at video recordings and medical reports.
Xavi admitted his surprise when asked about the accusations against a man who was his companion in the Barcelona dressing room as a player and a member of his squad last season when he took over as coach.
“It’s hard to comment on a situation such as this,” said Xavi in his press conference ahead of Sunday’s La Liga match against Getafe.
“I am as shocked and surprised as everyone else. And the first thing that comes into my head knowing Dani is that I am in a bit of a state of shock.”
“It is now a question for the justice system and that it what will decide what happens, so we can’t really talk about that. But in relation to Dani, I am surprised and shocked, because of the way he was when he was with us,” added Xavi.
Alves flew to Barcelona from Mexico, where he was playing for Pumas. The club on Friday announced they were rescinding his contract in view of the accusations against him.