Kozhikode: A major fire was reported in Jayalakshmi Silks, a textile showroom at Kallayi near Kozhikode town on Saturday, that destroyed properties worth lakhs of rupees. However, no casualties were reported.
The fire broke out around 0630 hrs on the second floor of the building and two cars parked underneath the area were completely gutted, after the melted flex boards dropped over the cars. It is prima facie suspected that a short circuit was the cause of the fire. Around 20 fire engines units from Kozhikode and Malappuram districts rushed to the spot to douse the flames. The fire was under control around 1000 hrs, fire force officials said.
Large quantities of textiles materials were kept in the showroom for sale during the Vishu and Ramzan festivals days, which are taking place this month. The actual loss is yet to be ascertained, police said.