New Delhi: In a major breakthrough in border talks, Indian and Chinese troops have carried out disengagement of troops in Gogra area of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh after the twelfth round of border talks, an official statement announced today.
The two sides have been in a face-off situation since May last year in Ladakh along LAC and
the decision on disengagement was reached during talks between Corps Commanders of India and China on July 31 at Chushul Moldo Meeting Point in Eastern Ladakh, it said.
The disengagement process was conducted over two days on August 4 and 5. The troops of both sides are now in their respective permanent bases.
‘As an outcome of the meeting, both sides agreed on disengagement in the area of Gogra,’ it said. ‘As per the agreement, both sides have ceased forward deployments in this area in a phased, coordinated and verified manner.’
All temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created in the area by both sides have been dismantled and mutually verified.
The landform in the area has been restored by both sides to pre-stand off period, the press release said.
This agreement ensures that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides, and that there is no unilateral change in status quo.
‘With this one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved. Both sides have expressed their commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector,’ it said.
‘The Indian Army along with ITBP is totally committed to ensure the sovereignty of the nation and maintain peace and tranquility along the LAC in the Western Sector,’ the release said.
The two side had a ‘candid and in-depth exchange of views’ on resolution of remaining areas related to disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of India-China border areas.