New Delhi: Delhi reported its first case of Monkeypox after a 34-year-old man tested positive for the infection, Union Health Ministry said on Sunday.
“The patient was isolated at Lok Nayak Hospital as a suspected case of Monkeypox. A confirmation of the diagnosis has been done by the National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune,” the Ministry said in a statement.
He is presently recovering at the designated isolation center at Lok Nayak Hospital here, it added.
“The close contacts of the case have been identified and are under quarantine as per the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare guidelines. Further, public health interventions like identification of the source of infection, enhanced contact tracing, testing sensitization of private practitioners, etc are being carried out,” the Health Ministry said.
A high-level review of the situation has been planned by the Directorate General of Health Services at 1500 hours, it informed.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal took to Twitter and appealed to people not to panic, and said the situation is under control.
“The first case of Monkeypox was detected in Delhi. The patient is stable and recovering. There’s no need to panic. The situation is under control.
We have made a separate isolation ward at LNJP. Our best team is on the case to prevent the spread and protect Delhiites,” Kejriwal said.
Kerala too has reported three Monkeypox cases so far.