25 C
Imphal
Monday, November 28, 2022
No menu items!

Arunachal CM releases basic grant of Rs 79 cr to Panchayati Raj institutions

The Chief Minister while handing over the demand draft to the department concerned in a function here informed that the amount released was from the state-owned resource/revenue.

Must Read

Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu on Friday released the basic grant of Rs 79.21 crore to the Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) for the current financial year.

“The amount accounts for 70 per cent of the basic grant to the PRIs, while the remaining 30 per cent, which will be performance-based, will be released subsequently after review of performances of the PRIs in their respective jurisdictions,” a statement from the CMO said.

- Advertisement -

The Chief Minister while handing over the demand draft to the department concerned in a function here informed that the amount released was from the state-owned resource/revenue.

“Instead of looking for help from the Centre for each and everything, we have allocated Rs 123 crore from our internal resources to PRIs for this year and this is the basic grant we are releasing today,” he informed.

Stating that as per 73rd Constitutional amendment, the state government has decided to devolve power to PRIs on 29 subjects, the CM called upon PRIs to work with more vigour and energy to take development in rural pockets of Arunachal Pradesh to a new height.

Besides the grants from state-owned resources, PRIs will be funded with provisions under the 14th and 15th Finance Commission, he said.

He revealed that Rs 200 crore has already been released under the 15th Finance Commission for PRIs and the balance Rs 800 crore will be released by the Commission over the period of next five years provided utilization certificates (UCs) are submitted on time.

Khandu observed that as guided by the ‘SPICE’ (sustainable, participative, inclusive, comprehensive and empowerment) module, the PRIs must be able to successfully function as institutions of self-governance and accelerate development at the grassroot levels.

“There is no dearth of funds. What we lack is coordinated and synchronized efforts,” he said and urged all stakeholders – local MLA, PRIs, the district administration, concerned departments – to coordinate with each other in implementation of developmental projects at the Panchayat levels.

He also emphasized on convergence of different schemes and programs for overall development of rural areas.

“We are committed to empower PRIs with the 3 F’s – functions, functionaries and funds,” he reiterated.

Asserting that officials in the districts have a big role to play, Khandu urged them to go the extra mile in assisting and guiding PRI members to avail government schemes for development of the villages.

He requested the Zilla Parishad Chairpersons (ZPCs) to periodically review the projects in their respective districts with fellow PRI members and officials concerned. He also advised them to personally visit work sites and keep themselves updated with each and every project.

Panchayati Raj Minister Bamang Felix, in his deliberation, expressed confidence in the dedication of the PRIs towards transforming rural Arunachal into self-sustainable. In regard to the release of 70 per cent of state owned resource grant to the 25 Zilla Parishads, Felix advised that the funds should be utilized with accountability strictly adhering to SOPs.

He urged the PRIs to work as a team and add to the state revenue by proper utilization of the state grant. The Minister said that this in turn will create a larger pool of funds for the PRIs to uplift rural Arunachal.

The function was also attended by Deputy Speaker Tesam Pongte, several MLAs, All Arunachal Pradesh Panchayati Raj Parishad president Biri Shanti (ZPC), members and officials of the Panchayati Raj and Rural Development departments.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Somalia: Four dead in hotel siege

Mogadishu: At least four people have been killed and dozens more injured after jihadist militants attacked a popular hotel...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -