Srinagar: An 8-year-old girl was charred to death in a tragic fire incident that broke out in a houseboat in Dal Lake in Srinagar on Friday.
The girl identified as Nahida Bashir daughter of Bashir Ahmad Gowsami was asleep when the tragic incident happened.
Fire and Emergency service officials said that the fire broke out at 01.27 am in the houseboat “Flower Garden” near Ghat No 15 at Nehru Park which engulfed the structure within no time.
The ill fated houseboat was completely damaged along with a wooden hut in the incident.
The cause of the fire is due to the electric short circuit, they said.
Teams from the fire service, police and State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) had reached the spot but could not save the girl, the locals alleged.
Seven houseboats were gutted on April 4 in a massive midnight fire incident in Nigeen Lake, Srinagar that had caused extensive damage to the property worth crores.