Agartala: A 24-year-old youth of Manikayanagar village of Sonamura in Sepahijala district died in the hospital last night while his 21-year-old wife is battling for survival in Agartala Govt Medical College (AGMC), after consuming pesticide, police said.
The newly married couple had consumed pesticide together on Friday and were shifted to AGMC in a critical condition, sources said, adding that Priti was eight months pregnant.
Rajiv Paul and his wife Priti Paul had been under deep financial distress during the past few months and were struggling to pay off their debt.
The couple would frequently quarrel over financial issues and things worsened when Priti conceived.
Last year, Rajiv had married Priti, who is also from the same locality.
The neighbours said Rajiv owed a large sum of money he had borrowed for business. His business failed during Covid-19 induced lockdown and eventually, he was unable to meet the family expenses, which led to family discord.
It is being suspected that the couple consumed poison under pressure to repay their debt.
However, Priti’s family has complained that she was forced to consume poison by her husband. With agency inputs