19.1 C
Imphal
Wednesday, September 28, 2022
No menu items!

FBI took top secret files from Trump home: Warrant

Trump increased the penalties for the crime while in office and it is now punishable by up to five years in prison.

Must Read

New York: The FBI seized top secret files from former US President Donald Trump’s estate in Florida this week during its raid, according to a search warrant.

Agents removed 11 sets of documents, including some marked “TS/SCI”, a designation for material that could cause “exceptionally grave” damage to US national security, as per a BBC report.

- Advertisement -

Trump denied any wrongdoing and said the items were declassified.

It was the first time a former president’s home was searched in a criminal probe.

The list of items was made public on Friday after a judge unsealed a seven-page document that included the warrant authorizing the search of the Palm Beach residence, Mar-a-Lago.

It said more than 20 boxes of items were taken on August 8, including a binder of photos, a handwritten note, unspecified information about the “President of France” and a clemency letter written on behalf of long-time Trump ally Roger Stone.

As well as four sets of top secret files, the cache includes three sets of “secret documents” and three sets of “confidential” material.

The warrant indicates that FBI agents were looking into potential violations of the Espionage Act, which makes it illegal to keep or transmit potentially dangerous national security information.

The removal of classified documents or materials is prohibited by law.

Trump increased the penalties for the crime while in office and it is now punishable by up to five years in prison.

The warrant notes that the locations searched at Mar-a-Lago include an area called the “45 office” and storage rooms, but not private guest suites being used by Trump and his staff, the BBC report said.

The US Justice Department had asked the court to make the warrant public on Thursday, a move considered rare amid an ongoing investigation.

The warrant was approved by a judge on August 5, three days before it was carried out on Monday.

On Friday night, Trump’s office issued a statement maintaining that he had used his authority while president to declassify the documents. Trump is aiming for another go at the White House in 2024.

“He had a standing order that documents removed from the Oval Office and taken into the residence were deemed to be declassified,” the statement said.

“The power to classify and declassify documents rests solely with the President of the United States.

“The idea that some paper-pushing bureaucrat, with classification authority delegated by the president, needs to approve of declassification is absurd.”

The US media is not clear whether this argument would hold up in court. “Presidents can declassify information but they have to follow a procedure,” the BBC quoted Tom Dupree, a lawyer who previously worked in the justice department, as saying.

“They have to fill out forms. They have to give certain authorizations. They can’t simply say these documents are declassified. They have to follow a process (and it is) not clear that was followed here.”

A spokesman for Trump, Taylor Budowich, said the administration of President Joe Biden “is in obvious damage control after their botched raid”.

The BBC quoted Budowich as he accused the Biden administration of “leaking lies and innuendos to try to explain away the weaponization of government against their dominant political opponent”.

Trump’s conservative allies have also condemned the raid as a political hit job.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Qatar spending $200 billion to host 2022 FIFA World Cup

Doha: Qatar is spending about $200 billion to prepare for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, which is 17 times...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -